Wednesday 3 December 2014

Ribbons and Plaits


In Helen’s lesson we have been looking into the history of Elizabethan hairstyles and finding modern interpretations of these looks. During our first practical with Helen we incorporated what we had learnt with both lecturers and created our initial ideas of a contemporary Elizabethan hairstyle.

A portrait of Sofonisba Anguissola from 1560 shows an example of the incorporation of accessories and plaits. 
Peter. (2011). Sofonisba Anguissola: Self portrait (1560). Available: http://www.flickr.com/photos/28433765@N07/5955228454/in/faves-menesje/. Last accessed 3/12/14.


When I first thought about my contemporary look, I imagined a French plait going across the front of the hair, with ribbon linked into it. I wasn't sure on what to have at the back, and I hadn't had much practice with buns, so I wanted to attempt a bun again. 


Although I liked this look, I wanted the bun to have an accessory so it would stand out more on the back of the hair. I also wanted to incorporate an accessory that was a bit more unusual. I found by flower head band and wrapped it round the base of the bun. I think this gave the bun a bit more dimension. 



I liked my first attempt at a modern Elizabethan hairstyle, however now that I have looked further into modern interpretations I have a lot more ideas that I would like to try that will make my look more interesting. 

Hair stylist Marcos Diaz put a modern twist to the look in his own work at the Misha Nanoo's spring 2013 show. They weaved much larger fabric to create a dramatic and edgy look to this Elizabethan style.
Dana Oliver. (2012). 3 Ways To Wear Frida Kahlo's Fabric Woven Braids .Available: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/09/frida-kahlo-braids-hairstyles-photos_n_1946648.html. Last accessed 3/12/14.

No comments:

Post a Comment